Sol Michiels

Sol Michiels
BE Belgium
Bruges

I am passionated by oriental art since my childhood. I have been an artist all my life: draughtsman, painter, sculptor and a calligrapher in Chinese and Japanese scripts. I graduated with highest honours in numerous disciplines (drawing, painting and sculpture) from the Municipal Academy of Bruges and then attended a ten-year course at a Japanese school of calligraphy and ink painting in Brussels (Heian Culture Centre 1995-2005). There I was one of the few westerners to achieve a 5th Dan.

After that, I followed apprenticeships in China (Hangzhou) and Japan. The wealth of knowledge I had amassed is above all self-taught and for many years now I have been intensely occupied not only with practising the art itself but also with studying the underlying texts and philosophy. I write my calligraphy all by myself, wielding a paintbrush on oriental paper and then incorporates them into my work. They are in the main philosophical texts and poetry derived from Chinese and Japanese culture. In so doing, I only use traditional oriental materials. The aim is not to ensure that the texts are always entirely legible – they are, after all, merely fragments.

Favorite techniques: all acquired techniques find each other in my work.

Do you sell: Mostly all my works are for sale. I accept commissions.

Do you teach: After my diploma from the Japanese school, I gave initiation courses for associations and schools. On my own atelier, I gave lessons calligraphy (Chinese characters) and painting for 14 years.

Recommended teachers: my teacher at the calligraphy school, Kyoko Machida, died a few years ago. It is always interesting to study the work of old masters.

Send Message to listing owner

Please log in to be able to send messages to the listing owner.