I want to buy xuan paper but there are so many types.

Welcome Forums Product Questions Paper I want to buy xuan paper but there are so many types.

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

I want to buy xuan paper but there are so many types. How do you categorize your paper? I use mostly Red Star papers. Which type of paper does Red Star make?

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

on the Xuan paper classification, we have put the information on each specific paper materials information. In total, the Xuan papers are divided into two main groups: Pi and Mian. Generally speaking, the Pi xuan paper refers to handmade Xuan paper with over 60% bark; while the Mian xuan paper less than 40% bark. (For our own inkston workshop, we list all the xuan paper with less than 60% bark as Mian paper. )

Pi xuan paper:

特种净皮 Te Zhong Jing Pi: 80% Pteroceltis Tatarinowii Tree Barks, 20% rice straw,

净皮 Jing Pi: 60% Pteroceltis Tatarinowii Tree Barks, 40% rice straw.

Both of these two types of Xuan papers are professional grade Xuan papers. They are professional Xuan paper for calligraphy and sumi e/ Chinese paintings.

Mian xuan paper:

棉料 Mian Liao Xuan paper refers to the type of Xuan paper which contains 30% Pteroceltis Tatarinowii tree barks and 70% rice straw, or 40% Pteroceltis Tatarinowii tree barks and 60% rice straw. Such type of paper is suitable for normal calligraphy and painting purposes.

https://www.inkston.com/materials/te-zhong-jing-pi/

https://www.inkston.com/materials/mian-liao/

https://www.inkston.com/materials/jing-pi/

The Red Star professional papers are mostly Pi xuan paper. The Te Zhong Jing Pi paper is the most expensive type. The Jing Pi paper is less expensive. 🙂 I think this is why sometimes people is confused and came to ask us why some Red Star paper is more expensive than others. 🙂

The Perfect 80 belongs to Te Jing Pi Paper. The Extra Fine 6575 is a higher grade than Jing Pi Paper and is categorized by inkston as Jing Pi paper.

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

In fact, since different people usually have different preferences on Xuan paper. In order to find the most suitable paper without wasting money and time, we would recommend you to order a pack of our Inkston handmade xuan paper sample pack. This is 0.5 USD and contains 22 different types of papers which are well organized in a nice case. You can also get this sample pack for free for your first order at inkston.

inkston Xuan Paper sample pack

moqiao
      Keymaster

Thank you kindly for the information.  I have found that each paper has it’s own characteristic and I can get a variety of results depending on the brush, the ink concentration, and the pressure I apply on the various papers.  Thank you for offering the sample pack, as it gives me opportunity to try new papers and techniques.  dd

罗雁 LuoYan
        Keymaster

Thank you very much dd! Inkston provides so many different types xuan papers because we know people would have different preferences. Hope you have found your favorite one. 🙂

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.