Hand scroll with calligraphy instead of painting?

Welcome Forums Questions & Answers Hand scroll with calligraphy instead of painting?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      cwtmovement
      Participant

The classic hand scrolls usually have beautiful paintings on them. Traditionally, the viewer unscrolls the work a bit at a time, revealing the long landscape.

I have a couple of small blank handscrolls that I’d like to use, but only with calligraphy. Can anyone suggest what kinds of sayings or calligraphy might be appropriate on a hand scroll? Should it be a maxim or saying, and is there any formula for number of characters or relative size?

Thanks for any help!

DenisePayne1
      Participant

<span style=”font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;”>hi there,</span>

great idea to do some calligraphy scrolls – also a traditional art particularly by women in the centuries when they were restricted in the arts and calligraphy.

you could write anything that inspires you but I like the Zen Buddhist phrases found in Japanese tea rooms or the simplicity of Haiku poetry. Basho is a beautiful place to start. My interest is in Japanese Zen Buddhism so not so familiar with the Chinese tradition but you would be using the same characters if you practice Kanji calligraphy. For help with character stroke order and variation try “Shodo – the art of Zen Calligraphy “ or for inspiration “100 leaves” in parallel translation if your not a Japanese/Chinese speaker.

excellent project whichever way you go. Let the flow take you!

Good luck and many enjoyable hours of ink, brush and paper!

Zen Den

cwtmovement
      Participant

A great idea. I have the Shodo book, and a number of others, along with poems and zen sayings. All would be very appropriate indeed.

Thank you for the quick response!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.