Inkstick size

Welcome Forums Product Questions Inkstick size

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      multapaakku
      Participant

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I gather that Old Hukaiwen ink is commonly manufactured and sold by the old Chinese tael (两 liang), about 31 g. While I’m aware that this measure is not always very accurate, I think it would be easier to compare prices if the shop listed the manufacturer size or, for instance, gave the product weight as 30, 60, 120 instead of S, M, L or something of the like. Just a thought…

moqiao
      Keymaster

Hi, we do list the product weights on the website in grams, if you found one we missed out, do let us know and we will try to correct that!

for example this one has options selected by weight:

金不易 Jin Bu Yi Fine Oil Soot Black Inkstick

and generally as you hover over the items in the catalog, the weight will normally be shown in the popup window

multapaakku
      Participant

Exactly, but I’m still somewhat confused. Are these “50g” and “100g” versions the same as 一两, 二两? How does Old Hukaiwen indicate the weight of its products?

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

Yes, 一两,二两 is the standard way for inkstick weight. This should be 30g, 60g. On our website, we just listed it as S, M, L so that it could be easier for people to know the size easier. S is 30g, 一两; M 60g, 二两.

As for the weight you have mentioned, it does not always accurately match the 30g, 60g, etc. This is because the fresh ink weighs more than ‘older’ inks due to losing moisture contained in inkstick. This is getting so obvious when you look at Old Hu Kai Wen inksticks which are 20 years old and you will find the inkstick weighs so much lighter than freshly-made inkstick. 🙂

Yes, how to mark the weight clearly is very important. We have decided to edit our weight system on inkston.com for inksticks.

🙂 I hope this is helpful! And thanks a lot for pointing out this problem.

multapaakku
      Participant

Thank you for the great clarification, Yan!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.