How to clean my seal?

Welcome Forums Techniques, Tips and Tricks How to clean my seal?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

Sometimes I want to clean my seal. Do you know how to clean it properly without damaging the beautiful carving?

moqiao
      Keymaster
      Actually there was a discussion about this before on the Inkston Facebook page but it’s difficult to find:
      Rona Conti Handiwipes. I do not think there is anything in the unscented kind which reacts with the stone.
      Inkston Just wondering what if people want to use a different colour seal paste. Then, it would be important to clean the old seal paste.
      Rona Conti The seal paste should always be cleaned whether changing color or not. Dried seal paste will ruin the seal.
      Maria Norma Herrera Papp Use an old toothbrush to clean between spaces, after you wipe the seal with tissue paper. Remember, also, to Go around the seal on the four sides or around the chop.
      罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

For natural stone seal, it is not very recommended to use chemicals to clean it because the chemicals might harm the stone surface. There is a very popular way in China to clean the seal. I use kneadable eraser. This can help clean the small details on the carving. I think this way is quite good.

maas.mason
      Participant

I’ve never used different inks with the same stone before but I don’t imagine it’d be a very big deal. You may want to clean it as best you can but if there’s a little of the previous color left over I don’t think it’d print with it if the new ink is going directly over it. Just my thoughts, might want to try experimenting with it on scrap paper but I highly doubt it’d harm the stone in any way.

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

I sort of agree with you! Just try to keep the seal clean as possible. Of course it is impossible to absolutely clean off the ink. And yes, you can use different ink colours. Using scrap paper is an idea but this might damage the carving. Maybe a toothpick would be more helpful.

ericmarie
      Participant

Toothbrush and toothpick is quiet enough to keep it clean (but you have to clean the toothbrush with soup and water, sometimes to time).

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.