I want to mount my painting. Do you recommend a specific backing paper?

Welcome Forums Product Questions Mounting I want to mount my painting. Do you recommend a specific backing paper?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

I want to mount my painting. Do you recommend a specific backing paper? (I noticed you sell the xuan/cotton mix as well as the WenZhou mulberry paper).

• This topic was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by 罗雁 LuoYan.
      罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

Two papers are used for the whole mounting: normal handmade Xuan paper/ mulberry paper, thick supporting mounting paper. These two papers are used respectively for the two mounting stages.

托画心Tuo Hua Xin / support the painting:  normal xuan paper/ mulberry paper

Concerning the paper, yes, you would find people using Xuan papers, mulberry paper (*Pi paper) for mounting. Yes, in fact they work very well! 🙂 They are very good materials as backing papers to attach directly the painting on. In Chinese, you may call this as 托画心 ‘support the painting heart’. I once consulted a mounting master in Shanghai and was told that using similar type of Xuan paper to support the ‘painting heart’ (which means the original painting) is the best. He told me that this is because the two papers have similar features and can protect the painting well. Therefore, for this first mounting step (support the painting heart), we also suggest to use the same type of Xuan paper. Therefore, you do not need to buy any special type of paper for this step.

覆背 Fu Bei/ cover the back: cotton paper

(free shipping) Mounting Paper – Thick Cotton Xuan (supporting painting heart) 100 Meters

Afterwards, you will need to attached one or several more layers of papers on the painting which has been processed with ‘support the painting heart’. Yes, the special mounting paper listed on inkston.com is used for this step. It is very thick already. Therefore, one layer is enough. This step is called 覆背 ‘ cover the back’. Therefore, strictly speaking this paper listed on inkston should be called ‘covering back mounting paper’. This paper is not always handmade Xuan paper. They are machine made cotton paper. I feel they might be as least 40gsm, which is similar to our double layer Xuan paper. Considering that our double layer Xuan paper is much thicker than normal double layer Xuan paper available in market, the INKSTON machine made cotton paper is similar to the

thickness  of piling 2 to 3 pieces of expert calligraphy paper. Therefor, this mounting paper is thicker and would be suitable for some special purposes. Another reason for us to supply this paper is because compared to handmade xuan papers, the machine made cotton paper is much cheaper. This paper is only available in rolls. (I think the paper shall be referred as paper made with high percentage of rice straw)

We are glad to receive your questions because we have been working on this subject for 1 month and half. We have recently published one article on the mounting tools and are currently preparing more articles on the mounting. These articles are based on our researches and interviews with local mounting masters.

Mounting Materials and Tools

托绫纸 Tuo Ling Zhi/ Mounting paper for silk fabric

Sometimes, people want to frame the painting with silk fabrics. There is special paper which is used to mounting the silk parts. (The product link will be available soon. If you need it urgently, please contact service@inkston.com )

If you can read Chinese, I can also recommend one book to you. It is a very good book written by student of a very prestigious mounting master. This masters mounted and prepared many valuable ancient Chinese paintings. Therefore, you might also read some special tips in this book. Unfortunately, it is only available in Chinese and it is difficult to translate it into English. We are trying.

mounting book

You can also refer to our articles on mounting subject: https://www.inkston.com/stories/guides/mounting-materials-tools/

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by 罗雁 LuoYan.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.