Rabbit Skin Glue – Why?

Welcome Forums Product Questions Rabbit Skin Glue – Why?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      hanayama
      Participant

I was given a small packet and told it was Rabbit Skin glue.  First, I was upset for the rabbit – but I have since seen it sold in the art stores also – so I would like to know its function with regard to Asian paintings.  Thank you.

moqiao
      Keymaster

Animal glue has a history of over 6,000 years, made from animal skin, bones etc.
      In fact ancient chinese ink was made from pine soot and animal glue, for example buffalo horn.

Hide glue from animal skin is fairly neutral PH whereas bone glue is more acidic.
      The easy water solubility in water together with the neutral PH makes hide glue a preferred choice for working with sensitive materials and delicate woodwork such as veneer and marquetry and delicate musical instruments such as violins:  the glue needs to be non damaging and easily removable to be able to open and repair the violin.

In artistic use, rabbit-skin glue can be used as a binder or thickener for paint and is the traditional binding ingredient in gesso. You can also use it when mixing your own colours.
      It can also be used with alum as an ingredient for sizing paper for gongbi style painting.

hanayama
      Participant

Thank you, most of that I could find out in general research, but I was particularly interested in how it is used in Asian  painting other than mixing with paint – and someone else (not from Inkston) told me it is used to adhere gold leaf to paintings. I have since found that reference in a Japanese painting book.

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

ooops, someone from inkston again.

apply glued water on finished paintings. And then paint again. and then apply some glue. You can repeat this as many times as the painting needs. Do the adjustments yourself.

Go to Inkston facebook page and you will find more answers. 🙂 https://www.facebook.com/groups/inkston/

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

In Spain, people use rabbit glue. You might be interested to contact artist Pepe Valera. He will be happy to discuss with you. 🙂

Pepe Valera

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.