brush for cursive script, semi-cursive script

Welcome Forums Product Questions Brushes brush for cursive script, semi-cursive script

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

Question: I have been doing mostly calligraphy. Now I want to try cursive and semi-cursive scripts. Could you give me some recommendation for small medium and large calligraphy? I hope the brush has high quality while not the most expensive or most sold. What are your personal favourites?

• This topic was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by 罗雁 LuoYan.
      罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

I mostly use the brushes to practice regular calligraphy scripts *Zhao Mengfu 赵孟頫 style, and flower and birds paintings. I sometimes practice semi-cursive script. I almost do not try cursive calligraphy because it is too difficult for me at the moment. I hope my personal experience with the brushes can be a bit helpful to you.

• Classic weasel brush set Red Star fine weasel hair brush set: a set of very high quality professional weasel brushes. The hair is winter weasel hair from northern China. They perform very well for regular calligraphy script. Three brushes for suitable for small, medium, and big size calligraphy. I use this set myself. It is very nice and I like them very much. I also use them for flower and birds paintings because the hair is very fine and they can make very sharp and neat lines.

Red Star 加料冬狼毫 Dong Lang Hao Pro Winter Wolf Brush Set

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

Classic weasel brush set Or you can also consider our inkston branded weasel brushes. I also use them. It is also 100% pure top grade weasel hair but the hair is not from the winter weasel from north (*this type of weasel hair is the best of the best and the Red Star weasel brush set uses such type of hair.). Therefore, the grade is slightly lower than the Red Star weasel brush set but still, we are confident that this set is very top quality professional brushes in market too.:) For me, this set functions very well.

Inkston 经典狼毫 Classic Lang Hao “Wolf” Brush Set

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

Semi-cursive, cursive calligraphy You can try the wool Yang Hao and Jian Hao brush set or choose any one with the proper size you want. Both Red Star and INKSTON have similar brush set but I prefer the INKSTON traditional white cloud JianHao brush set after I have tried all the Jian Hao brushes. I especially like using this set to do semi-cursive calligraphy practice. I use Zhao MengFu’s semi-cursive calligraphy album. *this is the book I am using: https://www.inkston.com/shop/art-books/zhao-meng-fu-cursive-scripts-album/

Inkston WsWl 古法白云 GuFa BaiYun “Traditional White Cloud ” 兼毫 Jian Hao Combination Brush Set

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

Semi-cursive, cursive calligraphy You can try the wool Yang Hao and Jian Hao brush set or choose any one with the proper size you want. Both Red Star and INKSTON have similar brush set but I prefer the INKSTON traditional white cloud JianHao brush set after I have tried all the Jian Hao brushes. I especially like using this set to do semi-cursive calligraphy practice. I use Zhao MengFu’s semi-cursive calligraphy album. *this is the book I am using: https://www.inkston.com/shop/art-books/zhao-meng-fu-cursive-scripts-album/

Inkston WsWl 古法白云 GuFa BaiYun “Traditional White Cloud ” 兼毫 Jian Hao Combination Brush Set

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

Red Star versatile brush set: this is a set of very popular professional brushes. Three types hairs make this set suitable for different calligraphy styles and paintings. I use this set myself too. They are suitable for medium and big size calligraphy. They are nice but a bit expensive compared with other professional brushes. I like using this set is because I can find three different types hairs in one set and the sizes are proper. This set of brushes have bigger size than the classic weasel brushes.

Red Star 墨 潇 然 Xuan brush set “Mo, xiao, ran”

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

Super large wool brush set: For large cursive calligraphy and landscape painting,I use one of these brushes and find it is very big. The hair is goat hair which has lost fat already. They are very soft and absorbent. They are difficult for me to control because I am not very used to cursive calligraphy type. Also, my control of wrist is not good. The weal strength of my arm and wrist made my cursive writing very weak too. I need more practice. I think if you do large size cursive and semi-cursive calligraphy, these brushes are a good option.

Red Star 京抓 Ensemble de Pinceaux Grandes Laine

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by 罗雁 LuoYan.
      罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

This link shows all the suitable brushes for calligraphy purposes. The brush hair type and brush hair size are the important things for you to consider.

https://www.inkston.com/products/chinese-calligraphy/

cwtmovement
      Participant

I want to point out that Amazon USA carries a number of Inkston brushes. I just purchased three of them (Inkston 0902WsWl 古法中白云 GuFa Zhong BaiYun “Traditional Small White Cloud Medium” , Inkston 0100Wl 小鶴颈 XiaoHeJing “Small Crane Neck” , and the
      Inkston 0503M 貂毫长锋 Diao Hao Long Pointed Marten Brush). These are excellent brushes for cursive and semi-cursive especially. Quality is very very good: point retains sharpness throughout varying pressures, the belly holds a good amount of ink (even the marten!), and I find the brush handles are very well made and balanced. It’s also nice to have brushes imprinted with the manufacturing numbers so I can remember where I got them months from now among my dozens of brushes! Highly recommend these for anyone looking for cursive or semi-cursive capable brushes.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by cwtmovement.
        罗雁 LuoYan
        Keymaster

Thanks cwtmovement! We got some ideas on use of brush. Hopefully we can share them soon today or tomorrow. 🙂

ericmarie
      Participant

It depends which style of cursive or semi-cursive you want to practice. Zhao Mengfu, Liu Gongquan, Mifu, Su Dongpo or Wang Xizhi used different kinds of maobi. It is difficult to say that one is good for all of them !

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.