Inkstone cleaning

Welcome Forums Questions & Answers Inkstone cleaning

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      molchansky.eyal
      Participant

how often should i clean the inkstone with the inkstone cleaner (those brown cubes)?
      do i clean just with water every day and then once in a month with the inkstone cleaner?

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

There is no strict regulation on how often you should clean it. However, the best way is always clean it once you finish using it. And this applies to all you other art materials too. *The majority of the inksticks from inkston are made with natural materials. The resin added in inkstick is gelatin which is obtained from animal skin/bone/fat.

However, some professionals do not clean the inkstone because they need to make special effects with the ink. This happens especially to people who use Su Ink skills. Su Ink can be easily understood as ´left over ink´. It is try and thick. The most famous Su Ink artist is Huang Bin Hong 黄宾虹. We also once interviewed on Su Ink artist and he talked about this technique too.

Chinese Su Ink landscape painting tips with Wang Zirang

I went to his studio quite often and found he has many large/ huge inkstones. Some of them seem never been cleaned while some are very clean all the time.

molchansky.eyal
      Participant

oh, wow i will read the interview, this is very interesting.
      it is hard to learn by myself, but i have no other options, at least i have some experience in western art.
      i really appreciate all the information you are sharing 🙂

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

For me, I think it is a brilliant perspective to have both western and oriental inspirations. In 20th century, quite a few great Chinese masters in fact studied arts in Paris! And I adore their works. Maybe you would be interested in Zhao WuJi 赵无极. He does oil painting and Chinese painting. 🙂 I think he might be a good reference to you.

https://www.google.com.hk/search?q=Zhao+Wu+Ji&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwik2q2nsOnYAhUDrRQKHeOiCzUQsAQIOg

And, please visit inkston often because we write and publish art articles almost every week. 🙂 Recently, we write Manual of Mustard Seed Garden, which has been considered as ‘bible’ for traditional Chinese paintings for hundreds years.

https://www.inkston.com/stories/

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

Just in case some people might be interested. 🙂 This is the inkstone cleaner,

Inkstone Cleaner

molchansky.eyal
      Participant

he’s got great art, i will read more about him
      and i also think that combining western and oriental art is beautiful, even though sometimes sticking with tradition can be wonderful too.

documentacorts
      Participant

Yo utilizo bastante a menudo la técnica de la tinta Su. Limpio la piedra cada varios días solo con agua y mis dedos. A veces, sobre todo cuando cambio de tinta la lavo con el limpiador de Inkston. Queda perfecta y la tinta resulta más fina después de haberlo hecho. Recomendaría limpiarla al menos una vez a la semana.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.