problems at the customs for the toxicity of pigments?

Welcome Forums Questions & Answers problems at the customs for the toxicity of pigments?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      belen
      Participant

I have seen that some pigments have toxicity labeling.
      For example, in oil painting, they do not send pigments to my country that contain lead in their recipe … and I wonder if the same thing happens with inks.
      Is there a problem in the customs when crossing the borders of the country?
      Is it possible to buy a bottle of chips, or inksticks or, depending on the country, should I take the box of pre-mixed colors?

Many thanks!

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

Regarding your questions, there is one reply on facebook:

Shǒu Bì Qiáng Zhuàng Personally I hate Customs. They drill horrible annoying holes in my Brushes, gun barrels, ornaments… everything. Drilled holes just in case I’m smuggling heroin into the country and everything I buy is deformed like this. No exceptions.
      You would think they’d use a tiny 1m/m drill? No. Its a stonking great 5m/m hole. Sick society.

On top of that they charge me, as in the last case, £70:00ukp $120:00usd extra for my ink stone from inkston.com.

UK. Regarding paints in tubes, no issues in the UK yet. Liquid inks are allowed and so are paint chips. That or they got through customs unnoticed. If I label a parcel I just write “Art Materials”.
      If you write “PAINTS” they will assume its a tin or a great big bottle of liquid and question and stop.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/inkston/

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

We have stopped supplying liquid paint to some countries. Therefore, we recommend you to order natural pigments (colour chips). These are natural colours extracted from rocks/ plants.

Jiang SiXu Tang 姜思序堂 (Jiang SiXu Workshop)

The ingredients for the Chinese art materials are different from oil paints. The seal paste does not include leads. 🙂

However, please pay attention to our toxicity labelling. The natural pigments are not all safe to use and we do not recommend them to children. For example, cinnabar is a very common chemical used in Chinese art.

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster
      belen
      Participant

many thanks! anyway I would like to be able to try different types to compare … it is possible that I risk … tempting!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.