Handmade natural mineral color ink sticks, set of 12 colours, handmade by the Ol

Welcome Forums Product Questions Inksticks Handmade natural mineral color ink sticks, set of 12 colours, handmade by the Ol

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      gretchensmailbox
      Participant

When using Handmade natural mineral color ink sticks, set of 12 colours, handmade by the Old Hu Kai Wen ink workshop I wonder what is the best way to grind them to see colors most clearly?  If they are ground on a black inkstone do you transfer wet ink into a white bowl? Thank you .

multapaakku
      Participant

Actually, there exist white pottery “inkstones” or dishes made for this specific purpose. Look for “彩墨砚” or “白陶砚” (白陶硯 in Japanese stores). The surface is unglazed and can be used for grinding. The colors are clearly discernible on a white background. Furthermore, you avoid staining your primary inkstone. It might be a good idea to get at least two, one for dark colors and another for light ones.

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

Thanks! 🙂 It is a good idea but still we would recommend using natural stone surface because this has perfect friction coefficient to make fine ink.

We have 白陶砚. If you need it, please contact us. 🙂

multapaakku
      Participant

Agree with Yan that appropriate natural stone makes the best ink!

I wonder what kind of natural stone you would recommend to grind color ink. I’m aware that there exists a white Duan inkstone that was especially popular for cinnabar ink in the past, but the material is in short supply and the stones rare and expensive. Are there any popular and affordable options?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.