(1) These gift vouchers can be used to buy anything on inkston.com. For more gift ideas we suggest looking in the Accessories and designer Ceramics or a special decorated inkstick is also a beautiful present.
(64) Handmade Oriental Art Accessories for Calligraphy and Painting including, painting mats, brush hangers, ceramic brush holders, brush rests, water reservoirs, water droppers from designer studios in JingdeZhen
(2) 佳人鬓雕文字工，藏书万卷胸次同。 –黄庭坚 "such delicate calligraphy carving, mind like a collection of scrolls" - Huang TingJian, Song Dynasty Seals are still widely used throughout Asia. Seal carving in a variety of decorative and ancient script styles is an art form still practiced today and artists and calligraphers use their personal seals to sign their work. Now you can have your own!
(17) “夕阳照个新叶红，似要题诗落烟台” （司空图《偶诗五首》其一）" "The sun shines like a fresh red leaf, falling like a poem on my inkstone" - poetry of Si Kongtu. Inkstones may have started as a type of mixing palette for chinese ink, however over a few thousand years they have developed into highly collectable works of art in their own right, regarded as the chief of China’s “Four Treasures of…
(148) Inkston supplies fine Li Ting Gui inksticks from Old Hu Kai Wen workshop and Jiang SiXu Tang 姜思序堂 professional colours. Please see our Buyers Guide and related articles for more info.
(86) "轻似蝉翼白如雪，抖似细绸不闻声" "Light as onion skin white as snow, flutters like fine silk without a sound" - ode to the fineness of Xuan paper Xuan Paper, is one of the treasures of China, a Unesco recognised 2,000 year old tradition, made by hand in a 200 step process using sustainable local ingredients, especially a local tree bark. Most of the ancient…
(68) “落纸惊风起，摇空邑露浓，舟奇与纪事，舍此复何从！” 耿伟《咏宣州笔》 "The paper put down to paint suddenly blows up in the wind, shaking in the thick air like a boat of writing, what a complex pleasure!" Ode to a Xuan brush - Geng Wei Special Offer - Make your own brush set: 15% off any order of 5 or more individual brushes.
Art Materials Kit
(6) Kits for painting with selection of brushes, ink and accessories, a convenient way to buy a set for a particular style of painting, at a discount to buying the same items individually.
Art Materials Kit
(26) This section includes a selection of chinese art books. These books are not translated so not often available outside of China. Since the books consist almost entirely of pictures we are making them available here so everyone can enjoy.
(76) Artisanal ceramic artwork made by hand in Jingdezhen the traditional home of chinese ceramics studios. Pieces include original jewellery, saki cups and accessories for chinese painting/calligraphy (brush pots, brush rests, water reservoirs, water droppers).
(1) Traditional hand-embroidered products from Qiang minority village in northern Sichuan province.
(17) Inkston silk embroidery products are pure hand-stitched silk embroidery made stitch by stitch by master craftspeople according to a tradition of over 1,000 years in China. Unlike machine stitching, each piece of craftwork is individual. Hand-stitching is often thick, layered and following the direction of the design to create an artistic whole than looks and feels good. Machine stitched embroidery is often…
(16) “蛾儿雪柳黄金缕，笑语盈盈暗香去。众里寻他千百度，蓦然回首，那人却在灯火阑珊处。” The lantern festival girls pass in a graceful glitter of laughter and jewellery. Searching the multitudinous crowd, suddenly looking back he finds her waiting in the waning light. Silver wares evolved over thousands of years amongst the Qiang, Miao and Tibetan minority peoples in southwest China - see our Stories. The designs are inspired by the natural environment, mountains, rivers,…