Hello, and special request for paper.

Welcome Forums Questions & Answers Hello, and special request for paper.

• This topic has 1 voice and 0 replies.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Yuehjian
      Participant

Ni hao,

Thank you for the membership in this forum.

After a short introduction of myself,because this is my first post, I would like to ask a specific question.

I am a german based artist, painter and soundsculpturer with strong chinese and japanese influences.

In my paintings I am focused on a personal style of fantasy/sureal art, executed in a mixed gong bi technique, especially the „two brushes“ technique where you hold two brushes in one hand, one for painting, the other for smoothening out, swiching very rapidly between those two.

I practiced this quite a lot and are very comfortable with it, I use it also a lot for small format work with western watercolors.

Because we moved our home I had not the space for working on bigger formats with Shu Xuan paper, and so I painted more smaller formats, also exploring digital art as well, but now as I have space again I want to start again with bigger paintings.

Now to the question:

I tried and ordered various matured ( alumen – gelatine ) Shu Xuan Papers, from other suppliers from all over the world, also some offered from Henry Li ( blueheronart) who also organized some great mounting of my pictures, and I am a huge fan of chinese papers !

I love the structure, and finness of Xuan paper, and the way the ink behaves on it.

However, there is one thing that allways bothered me a little bit and now after working with western water color paper it went even more clear:

All of the Shu Xuan Papers I have seem to have a grid impression, left from the paper-making. I guess it is due to the bamboo filter, that is put into the pulp to create the paper.

Now, dont get me wrong, please: I really love the handmade aspect and the art behind the crafting !

But since I also do some very small details, I wonder if it is possible to achieve any paper witha very smooth surface, without the gridlines.

I look a the painting of some great chinese Gong Bi artist I like, like He Jiaying, Lou Dahua I see that they eighter use very fine silk, and paer that has a very smooth surface without any grids.

So my question to you is if you can offer me some advice, recommendation to a specific paper in your shop, or where to purchase such high quality paper. ( From the paper samples I have from you, all papers show this grid-lines. )

I would perfer Sized Shu Xuan or other, but raw paper would also be fine, I could size them by myself.

It should also have medium thickness, since I work with a lots of layers, makeing the same areas wet and dry, again and again, so its surface must be very resistant.

I add some pictures of mine for example so you can imagine…

Thanks a lot,

and have a great time!

Yuehjian

Lonesome spirit

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.