How should I clean brushes?

Welcome Forums Product Questions Brushes How should I clean brushes?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      moqiao
      Keymaster

Some asked for more tips on how to clean brushes.  Inkston’s guide is here:  https://www.inkston.com/stories/guides/xuan-brushes/#care
      What tips do you have?

Before use, please rinse in warm water until soft. If the hair is out of place you can straighten it out once soft.  Excess water can be removed before painting, for example by blotting with absorbent paper.  You may also hang the brush for 10 minutes after rinsing, to dry and straighten naturally (not many people actually do this).

After use please rinse with water and leave to dry.  Don’t use solvents, just warm water.
      Don’t dry in the sun.  If you have a Brush stand that’s ideal to hang the pen to dry and keep its shape.  If not, don’t panic, any dry place will do, but to preserve the brush well, please not in a jar, not in water and not in direct sunlight.  Do not put the cap back on after use, allow the brush to dry!

Do not lick or put in the mouth!  Not only is this not good for the brush, but also some paints are toxic!

Sandro
      Participant

I personally have many problems to dry brushes, and I’m looking for an alternative method to dry them vertically without buying a plastic brush stand.

Does anyone know me about tricks or alternative methods? Thanks for attention

S@vo san

moqiao
      Keymaster

Well the wooden brush hangers are nicer than plastic:

https://www.inkston.com/shops/accessories/brush-hanger/

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

wash your brush every time after you finish using them. Then use a piece of xuan paper *new or used xuan paper to absorb extra water from the brush hair gently. Then use your fingers to gently organize the brush hair into the original shape. Afterwards, hang the brush on a brush hanger. Do not leave the brush hanger under strong sunshine directly.

moqiao’s brush hanger would be a perfect choice. It is economic and useful.

use your fingers to reshape your brush hair like this after using paper to absorb extra water from it.

Felice
      Participant

What I often do is fill a little bucket with water and rinse the brush in it. Not pushing it down to the bottom but just swirling it around in the bucket. Then under the faucet I keep it in line with the water (downwards) gently pushing it against my hand which also forms like a cup.

Then go with the hair lines under the faucet with your fingers and ‘massage’ it a bit so the little reservoir inside the brush will be clean aswell.

Push the water out with your hand gentle and with the hairs. I then take some paper and do the same thing but most of the water will be absorbed then by the papercloth. Then hang it to dry 🙂

cwtmovement
      Participant

I’m often surprised at how much ink is retained in my brushes, even after repeated (half dozen or more) sequences of dipping and swishing brush in cup of water then under running water using fingers and palm to gently open the bristles. I keep washing until the water looks clear. But still, next time I use the brush and dip in water pot briefly before in the ink, I see a tiny amount of ink seep into the fresh water. Very annoying!

Felice
      Participant

I don’t think it is possible to like fully get the ink out of the brush. You keep repeating it. Pushing the brush a bit against the palm of your hand to see if there is still ink coming out of it sometimes helps to really get into the center of the brush.

By the way, do you need to use warm water ? Is there a difference if you use cold water instead of warm water?

noahenholm
      Participant

The general rules of thumb are as follows:

• Ensure you put the cap back on immediately after use, this is applicable even if you’re just temporarily switching colors
      • Store your brush pens horizontally to ensure the ink doesn’t congregate at the bottom of the pens

To clean your water brush pen, simply squeeze the water through the chamber until it reaches the brush tip, then wipe it gently on a towel or paper towel. Repeat this step into your brush tip is entirely clean.

Felice
      Participant

For Chinese brushes, once used you should not put the cap back on. The plastic cap is only there when you buy it to protect the brush. After using it, its indeed better to hang the brush (the water wont drip out if you gently wipe it with the towel).

If you should put the cap back on, then you could damage some of the hairs on your brush. Some may look funky then

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.