Sizing Xuan Paper

Welcome Forums Questions & Answers Sizing Xuan Paper

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      AskiaLuna
      Participant

Hi,

I would like to size my raw Xuan paper.

How much do I have to use of the gelatin and alum to halfsize the Xuan paper?

Thank you in advance 🙂

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

Dear AskiaLuna,

Our xuan paper workshop colleagues have organised some photos to show you how we size large size papers. 🙂

This is a slightly complicated process and we have started organising one article to explain how to size your paper. I suppose that you can find this article by this Sunday. If you want to know as soon as this article is published, you can also subscribe our newsletter. 🙂

Subscribe Link: https://www.inkston.com/manage-subscriptions/

AskiaLuna
      Participant

Thank you,

that’s very interesting.
      I have unsized paper lying around here. On the paper, the ink bleeds very easily, unless I paint quickly. What I do not like.
      I would rather size the paper a bit, , before it just lies around and is not used.

DenisePayne1
      Participant

Hi there,

interesting post – I have not sized my own paper but with the problem of ink bleed there are other ways to tackle that. If you are using bottled ink try mixing with fresh ground ink or use just ground ink and make it nicely thick but don’t get it too gluey or it will cause more problems than it solves. Depending on the exact type of Xuan paper you could also try a good quality bottled ink made for Xuan. For example Red Star ink works fantastically well with Red Star Xuan. Might be less hassle than sizing your paper?

good luck whichever way you follow. Peace.

Zen Den

AskiaLuna
      Participant

I only use ground ink.

I would like that I can adjust it, whether a line is bleeding or not.

What do I have to do to make this work? I still have a roll Wenzhou paper, it is made of mulberry bark.

Otherwise it would be a shame about the paper, if it is not used.

Yesterday I made some glue and put very little of it in a bowl and then added the same amount of water.

I thought that would only be enough for 1-2 sheets about 25cm * 30cm, but in the end it was enough for 8.

I tried it on a few other papers. The rest of the glue I have frozen.

I have 1 and a half teaspoon animal glue and a half and a quarter teaspoon of alum.

A bit of water to make the glue swell and then a cup of hot water about 80 degrees Celsius which then with the existing water to something around 60 degrees Celsius (the ideal Themperatur for glue).

When it was cool, I gave the alum and waited until it had dissolved.

At the moment I do not have the money to buy other special things.

thank you for your post 😉

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

Hi Askia Luna,

Thanks for your nice posts! We have just published our article on how to size Xuan paper. I think you will find answers to your questions. 🙂 Hopefully this is helpful to you.

Size My Xuan Paper?

AskiaLuna
      Participant

Great, I’ll take a look at that :-).
      Thank you very much.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.