Which side of mounting paper should I use?

Welcome Forums Product Questions Mounting Which side of mounting paper should I use?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

For the two mounting steps you mentioned, is there a preference for which side of the paper to use? My understanding is most people will write on the smooth side of the paper, but then when they mount, they will use the rough side of the mounting paper, so that means that the two rough sides will face each other?

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

No, we do not simply say use which side of paper. Instead, other more important observations should be made for the ‘support the painting hear’ step. According to what I have read and what I have been told by mounting master, it is very important to observe the veins of the paper. Observe carefully the direction of the veins on the papers. If the veins on the painting paper is east to west, then remember to ensure the veins of the mounting paper goes from north to south. This means, make sure the two papers veins will cross each other and the angle is 90 degrees. This will make sure the surface is smooth and flat. This will make sure the next step will be good too.

There are many other techniques written in the book I have mentioned to you. Another thing you might need to know is how to avoid the ink running away during wet mounting. It is a bit complicated. This or next month, inkston will publish on article talking about it. Because different tip applies to different situations. For example, when the painting is recently made and needs mounting immediately. How to make sure the ink will not run off during mounting.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.