How often should I replace my brush?

Welcome Forums Product Questions Brushes How often should I replace my brush?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      罗雁 LuoYan罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

Recently I visited one Chinese artist and found that he has so many brushes which are exactly the same. I thought once you buy one brush, the brush can last for years if it is a high quality one. However, he told me that he replaces brushes almost every week. I was really surprised! If I need to replace brushes so frequently, what should I do with the old brushes? They seem too good to be thrown away.

Only professionals are so strict on their materials? Or should I also change my brushes so often? What do you think?

• #16392 Translate
      ApprenticeSandro
      Participant

I personally think that for everyday use the brushes are damaged every 15/20 days. It is true, however, that in Italy I do not find high quality brushes and for a beginner use it would be useless to spend important sum to damage them so often.

• #16406 Translate
        罗雁 LuoYan罗雁 LuoYan
        Keymaster

This artist shares the same opinion as you. The reason for changing brush so frequently is that the brush tip becomes ‘blunt’ quickly. According to his experience, he said this take 7 days on average since he paints almost 6 hours each day. Foe less used brushes, he changes in around 30 days. He also prepared a very small comb to take care of the brush hair. He combs the hair often so that the hair does not get mixed up, which happens quite often after you have used the brush for a while.

When the brush tip is ‘blunt’, you can still keep it for other painting purposes. 🙂 Do not throw them away because they are still useful. In Chinese, we say ‘if you treat your tools well, they will treat you well. :)’.

• #18725 Translate
      nurimmasnurimmas
      Participant

I read that when you use a brush you have to let it rest, you don´t have to use the same brush every day.

• #18742 Translate
      Masterriekjecares
      Participant

I think when you use the inkston brushes right you can use them for along time. Clean after use, with cold water, gentle put the hairs in shape with your vingers or paper towl. Then let the brush hang to drye.

• #19291 Translate
      ScholarAskiaLuna
      Participant

Do high quality expensive brushes last longer than cheap ones?

• #19295 Translate
      罗雁 LuoYan罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

Although all brushes have their own lifespans, high quality brushes are always much endurable than lower quality ones. you will find high quality brushes will lose almost no or very little hair if you use them properly. Also high quality brushes also mean the brush hairs have higher grades, purer, etc. After you have used different quality brushes, you will notice the big difference no only in terms of brush’s lifespan but also in terms of how ‘cooperative’ you brush is for you painting.

• #19715 Translate
      belenbelen
      Participant

To extend the life of the brushes, wash them with natural olive soap or glycerin soap, which do not contain chemical detergents.
      Brushes become brittle when losing their natural fat, so it is recommended to use gum arabic or other similar substance, to maintain shape, flexibility and durability. I’ve heard of people who wet them in milk because casein can help.
      If the brush is really damaged it is recommended to apply a “Brush Recover”, and wrap the body of the brush on silk paper for a week, in a warm place (but not very hot, never near a heater or stove).
      The main western brush factories (I think also in the eastern ones), market the Restorers for daily use, and the Recuperators for extreme cases.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.