painting three faces of a rock in Chinese painting

Welcome Forums Techniques, Tips and Tricks painting three faces of a rock in Chinese painting

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

A question from Celso: Hello! Do you know anything about the representation of the three faces of a rock in Chinese painting? Very grateful and good evening!

virginia
      Participant

When painting rocks it is important to visualize the sides of a box so that your rock has volume. Load your brush with water, grey and tip it in black so you have a good gradation of shades. This will also help to give a sense of 3-D. Here are some samples:

rock

hanayama
      Participant

It is a traditional way of depicting rocks – if you have ever seen the method in the Mustard Seed Garden book, that is very useful.  Another wonderful book I treasure discusses the 3 faces very well and it is how I learned to think about rocks – I have taken the explanation from this book for you.

Oriental Painting Course

Wang Jia Nan and Cai Xiaoli, with Dawn Young

Think of rocks as having 3 aspects:

1 front part, facing the sun, is dry and rough

2 side, in shadow, is wet/shaded

3 top, is thin.

This gives rocks a 3 dimensional affect. A side brush technique is used, and rocks are given different textures with specific brush techniques.  These you can research, as many books like the ones above, give much detail.  Good luck!

罗雁 LuoYan
      Keymaster

Another good example of rock painting by Chinese artists SunYan. He paints the lines by dotting the brush quickly. And he also suggested that to get special texture of the rock, you can also leave the paper on uneven surface and then paint. This will help create a very natural texture.

There is one example.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by 罗雁 LuoYan.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.